IHC/IHC Digest Archive

RE: Re[6]: [ihc] RE: lug patterns

At 12:34 PM 10/29/04, Ed Sohm wrote:

>Those wheels (if they are really what you want, I know nothing about the
>bolt patern) are available all over and pretty cheap before shipping.

And, AFAIK, ALL of them are split rims (lock ring, if you will) . I have
changed MANY a tire on such wheels, and don't mind doing it, and OSHA cages
for doing it can go take a flying leap, in my book.

BUT---unless you have been trained/know how to do it RIGHT on this type of
wheels, AND are willing to mount and dismount the tires yourself, there are
NOT a lot of tire shops left that are willing to do it !!!!! So, BEWARE !!!

And--DO NOT even THINK about using any of the old 'widow maker' type
wheels--the ones on which the rims come into two pieces about in the center
!!!!!!! These got their nick-name the old-fashioned way--they EARNED it !!!
There are a lot of '60's vintage Loadstars around that had such wheels in
20", and I have even seen a couple in the 6 on 7.25" pattern in 17" !!!
Best thing to do with these things is to cut 'em in at least half with a
torch !!

If you stick to the 1/2" wheel sizes, then everything is tubeless. There
are equivalents--a 19,5' tubeless (tire) is the same height as a 17" split
rim, 22.5 = 20, and 24.5 = 22 . These equivalents are close enough that you
can actually run , for instances, a 7.50x 17 dualled with an 8.00 x 19.5 or
a 10.00 x 22 with an 11 x 24.5 !!!

Don't misunderstand me, I GREATLY prefer the tubeless tires and wheels, but
am willing to deal with the tubes and flaps and split rims if necessary.

Greg