IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] Pri-G: the debate begins

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>

> Ryan already has to dump fresh gas down the carb just to get it to start.
> once it's started it will run on what's in the tanks, and he says it idles
> pretty smoothly on the old fuel.  it just won't start on that stuff.  and
he
> says that when it's running on the old gas, even in first gear (it's a T35
> with 7:1 first) and the axle in what appears to be high gear (5.7:1), it
> hasn't got enough power with the engine running against the governor to
pull
> itself forward without dying.  unless he gives it a LOT of choke.

Mac-

Sounds like carb problems may be part of the equation. Gotta troubleshoot
with good gas, maybe by strapping a gas can to the back of the truck and
running a temporary fuel line. Might not be a big deal, but you have to make
the truck RUN on fresh gas to make sure the gas is not affecting it. Idling
and puttering is not good enough.

Step 1, truck has to run under load. The travelall I picked up a year ago
idled fine and revved fine in the driveway, but it kept dying on the highway
because the carb internals were disintegrating. Swapped carbs after about 75
miles and it ran really well the rest of the way. Changed plugs at the same
time and found that the crappy carb had helped foul the the plugs horribly.
No doubt that will also help.

Step 2. If the running truck will run after you SWITCH to the old gas, you
really only have to start it with a can of gas, then switch the lines as
it's running. I've done that a bunch of times for various reasons. Also,
that's when you find out about the gas stabilizer. For less than 20 bucks,
it's silly not to try it, half a bottle in each tank. It's more likely that
you will get a clogged fuel pickup or selector switch than any other problem
at that point. You MUST have a see thru filter before the fuel pump to allow
you to dump any crud in the lines that shows up and protect the pump, and
you must have one after the fuel pump , too, so that you can troubleshoot
more quickly. This will save you HOURS of uncertainty and mess on the way
home.

Once you drive a while, you'll probably be able to mix fresh gas with the
old gas, if necessary.

> that's a good suggestion, unfortunately i don't know who to give this old
> gas to if it doesn't work.  is there a way to go about finding people who
> can use it and who might be willing to come get it?

Worry about that when you get there. If you have to, you can get a gas can
and find an auto parts store or gas station or mechanic's shop in every
town. I missed how old the gas was, but if it's less than 2 years, you will
probably be able to save it and use it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Try to use all the old gas you can on the way
home. You may find that you have to bypass the selector valve every time you
switch tanks. Does the gas gauge work on all the tanks?  If you lose a
gallon or two each time as the tank becomes almost empty, oh, well. It's
unlikely you will be able to drive the truck a LOT, but you will want to
plan to have about 5-10 gallons of fresh gas in each tank.

-Allan