IHC/IHC Digest Archive

RE: [ihc] Pete's Choking!

Hi Jim, John and other interested parties...

: <snip lengthy Holley 2210 typical nonsense>

The choir will sing "Amen!"

: Peter, if your carb is stock it's a Holley 2210. My opinion

Just telling them it's a Holley 2210 isn't good enough.  They want "more
information".  AutoZone was looking for 9 digit type nomenclature, e.g.
"448670C91" or some such. O'Reilly wanted seemed to do it just knowing it
was a Holley in a '77 Scout 304.  Hmmm.  But I've received the wrong part on
multiple occasions from them.  I DON'T want to have a carb dismantled on the
kitchen table, errr, "work bench" only to discover the half the parts don't
fit, etc.! So I think one burning question is, how do I POSITIVELY identify
the Holley I have, or better yet, the KIT that I want? O'Reilly's says I
want a Walker rebuild kit #15815A.  I'll have to see if there's a Walker web
site, and what it says - if anything.

: of their performance and foibles is only a little higher than
: CookieDan's opinion of Thermoquads ;) I live with them

Oh noooooooooo! Say it ain't so! ;-) Well, I DO have a bucket-o-gas handy,
if it comes down to that! ;-)

Tell me: Will the Motorcraft 2200 fit directly on? Exact form/fit/function
as the Holley?  Or are there half a dozen inlets/outlets that are different,
need to be plugged "if", etc.?  Same base gasket, spacer, etc.?

: because I prolly couldn't get 2 of my trucks smogged without
: them('tho' I *may* try next time). IME they need a fresh
: rebuild yearly to perform OK. This is on CA gas, so YMMV
: somewhat but still...

Well, I've had the beast almost 2 years, and I don't know how long it had
been before that since it was last rebuilt!  Guess it's time.  If I had time
to wait (I don't!) I'd go shopping on "...that auction website" and look at
M'craft.  You may recall (or not), I bought the truck off that same website.
A firm believer in 1-stop-shopping! :-)

: Your specific symptoms could be any one or combination of
: things. Choke, idle circuit, float level, you get the idea. I
: would just pull the thing and rebuild it, paying particular

That's kind of what I was thinking.  It's my understanding a rebuild will
cure many ills. Can't hurt my fuel "economy" any! %^}

: attention to the setup on reassembly. I use the specs in the
: IH manual, and keep a little kit of the drill bit gauges,

Any chance I could get a copy / scan (BMP or JPG) of that procedure from
someone?  I have access to an appropriate Chilton's but don't have the $75
or so for what I want from Binder Books, at the moment.

: etc. so they're handy. Other than that, you want the maximum
: accel. pump stroke you can get, the pump is kinda on the
: small side and has less than stellar actuation.
:
: If your local smog laws allow, I recommend the Motorcraft 2100 2bbl in
: either the 1.21 or 1.23 venturi size. AFAIK these were   OEM
: for the Ford

Very oddly, OK doesn't sniff exhausts annually (no more annual state
inspections!!!). The inspection stations cried they were loosing money doing
inspections, citizens were bridling at having to pay $5-$6 (or whatever it
was) for an inspection, etc. The solution: No more state inspections! It's
my understanding under certain circumstances any vehicle can be ordered
(like you get a moving violation and trooper/cop sees something suspect,
etc.). But I digress... My left & right coast friends have my sympathies
here.

: 351's. The ones I have are from the early to mid '70's and
: have a vacuum choke pulloff and electric-assist choke. I just
: scored 2 more 1.21's like this for $18.50 delivered, and the
: tag on one is date coded '73. There are always tons of them
: on that auction website, what's it called? ;)

Thanks... I'll file this note for future use. I should have a "spare" carb
on standby at all times anyhow, I case.

Back to the problem: I guess tomorrow a.m. I'll try to call NAPA and see
what kit(s) they offer, then make a decision. Prob rebuild it over the
weekend.

Tom M.: I laughed out loud at the "registered tub" in the dirt out on
Mandera Acres. I had a similar prob with a neighbor a few doors down,
vetching about my Travelall.  To his chagrin, I had the thing "black
tagged".  Meaning, I got a dirt cheap registration as long as it was never
on the road. But it was a provision to satisfy just such occasions.  The
only other requirements I was made aware of was that the vehicle had to have
a hood on it and four tires capable of holding air.

Thanks to all that have helped!

Cheers,

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||  Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |  '77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\] More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\] http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\] http://www.pferris.com/scout