IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] Milage question

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:09:15 -0700 (PDT), Steven Stegmann
<steve.stegmann@domain.elided> wrote:
> If you smell gas around the vehicle, you have a leak
> somewhere.  Find it and fix it.  That should help the
> mileage when it is standing.
>
> Steve

There are no *obvious* leaks, but the tank has, when overfilled,
leaked out of the top.  (It's a steel 33-gallon tank)  I've been told
that there isn't a tight seal around the sending unit and that's why
it leaks when it's overfilled.  The only other possibility is a leak
via the charcoal canister, but since that's mounted higher than the
tank, it's doubtful.  (And, of course, the already mentioned vapor
recovery piping.  Which I'll check into later this afternoon,
hopefully.  It's my birthday today, so my time isn't completely my own
between family, cake, etc.)

Also, if I eliminate the charcoal canister, do I NEED the get a vented
gas cap?  Or will leaving the system unvented work OK?

Dave