IHC/IHC Digest Archive

[ihc] Hofs' diodes and double pulleys

John,
      What does the MAD diode do again?
All I seem to remember is the wire that makes a three wire into a one wire.
I want to redesign my trucks with the 12SI instead of the 10SI per the
usage
described by application from the MAD page.  If the diode drops the input
sense voltage to trip the output of the alt higher, then this is PRECISELY
what
I proposed people do with battery isolators to remedy the .7 V drop
from the diodes in the isolator itself.

Incidentally, I had been trying to find a source of the double pulleys with
the small
diameter often found on the store bought alternators.  Typically the IH
double pulleys
were the large diameter about 5", and the small dia. are about 3 inches.
Aside from
bending the belt around a smaller corner, it turns the alternator faster.
Anyway, I couldn't
find them forever so I had been swapping my cores back with single pulleys
so I could
acquire more doubles.  Fleck at RMIHR had three, so I picked those up.  I'm
in the
process of replacing the large pulleys with the 'overdrive' smaller ones.

I also welded a socket on a piece of bar stock and drilled a hole through
the bar so I
could get an allen wrench through the center, then welded a section of
steel tubing
to the short side of the allen wrench, so now I have a field service kit to
change alt pulleys
on the road.

-just rambling on...

JoelB