IHC/IHC Digest Archive

[ihc] Steering input splines

Mike Toney wins!

>>There are two sizes of Scout II PS box input shafts.
>>Older Scout II PS box used a 13/16" diameter input shaft with 36 splines.

>>Later model SII PS box used a smaller 3/4" input shaft with 30 splines.

Well, at least I now understand what I'm 'seeing'.  I thought I was seeing
things with the splines being different.
Having a spare steering box on the side I thought it was an optical
delusion that the splines looked different.  The one in the truck
has the finer splines and measured 13/16" or rather 52/64 on my calipers
this AM.  The 'spare' box has the thinner shaft which was actually thinner
than 3/4" but had the coarse splines and now I understand what I was
seeing.  Thanks a jillion for the update, in 14 years of playing Scouts, I
never noticed the spline count difference and I've rebuilt and swapped 5 of
these boxes so far.  I'm just sick of rebuilding them myself and for a few
bucks more I can have someone else worry about matching up the chrome and
black recirculating balls in the half macaronis.

Thanks!

JoelB