IHC/IHC Digest Archive

[ihc] Re: Methods of Work

Nice idea that John A. came up with.  I hope to see lots
of tips.

Here's a few I use that come to mind:

Always fill your new oil filter with fresh oil before installing.
When you start the engine after that oil change, you will have
oil pressure much faster.

Experiencing missing under load/going uphill?  Don't overlook
the plug wires.  It is harder to fire a spark plug when the
engine is under load.  Bad plug wires can allow the spark
to find an easier path to ground.  One way to check them:
at night, open the hood.  Don't stand in front of the truck.
Make sure it's dark.  Have an assistant put it in drive
with the brakes on, and apply some gas pedal to put a load
on the engine.  A little harder with a manual tranny,
but a similar technique can be done.
I've seen quite the arcs this way with bad plug wires.

Make a "Axle Ho" (this can conjure up lots of images)
using a 1/2" or 3/4" dowel and some sheetmetal.  Cut
a 1/3 or 1/2 circle of metal that fits in the axle
tube tightly. Then use a screw to fasten to the end
of the dowel.  Amazing how much muck gets in the front
axle tubes.

Allan W.