IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] Ford auto in IH truck

At 8:38 PM 4/12/04, Ryan Moore wrote:
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Joel Furtek" <jf7e@domain.elided>
>To: "Mac McMuffin" <mac@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>
>Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 14:47
>Subject: [ihc] Ford auto in IH truck

The tranny in question is actually a ZF (Zahnradfabrik Freidrikstrassen)
design which gets its final assembly, under license, in a Ford plant. I
-think- the full extent of the final assembly Ford does is simply popping
pre-assembled internals into cases, buttoning them up, and putting a Ford
nameplate on them.

This is pretty much a case of whether you care whether IH puts a Fuller (or
whichever) tranny in a Class 8 truck when KW does the same thing.

ZF is pretty much Allison's -only- competition, worldwide, in the field of
heavier duty automatics for on-highway vehicles.

Greg