IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] OT-V8 Chevy Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Ryan Moore" <baradium@domain.elided>; "Joseph Shaw, II"
<josephshaw@domain.elided>; <ihc@domain.elided>; <oldihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 17:10
Subject: Re: [ihc] OT-V8 Chevy Question

> on 4/7/04 12:43 PM, Ryan Moore at baradium@domain.elided wrote:
>
> > First thing:  Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge, those idiot
lights
> > don't work half the time, if the truck still runs with the oil light on,
> > bet it's just a faulty oil light.  Mechanical guage would verify that
and
> > the first thing you want to do is get a real oil pressure (and temp
guage,
> > get a real temp guage too) guage to actually know the condition of the
> > engine.
> >
> > -Ryan
>
> Michael,
>
> The most likely culprit is the oil pressure sending unit. In my opinion,
> that is where you should start. What Ryan says is correct, but he left out
> the sender.
>
> Almost certainly not the oil pump. If it is not the sending unit, and the
> pressure is truly too low to register, then the cause is probably cam,
rod,
> and main bearings.
>
> John
>
> John Hofstetter    AKA Ol' Saline
> www.goldrush.com/~hofs

I didn't have a reason to mention the sender.  If he goes to a mechanical
guage, he kinda *has* to replace the sending unit.  Since it is impossible
to tell if the system is working one way or another, I feel it prudent to go
mechanical regardless of what is wrong at the moment as if the bulb burns
out later he won't have any way of knowing if he loses oil pressure or that
the bulb is bad in the first place.  The temp light too is also notorious
for not illumination (when it does work) until after the engine has died
from overheating and by that time it tends to be too late to save the
engine.

-Ryan

---