IHC/IHC Digest Archive

RE: [ihc] Wheel bolt patterns - question for Howard P.

## >> > So, bottom line question, why did International use a 5 on
## >> 4.5 pattern
## >> > on my RHD Scout 800?
## >> >
## >> > Dave
## >> >
## >>
## >> I've never seen one before, but someone told me once that the
## >> 2wd 80s and
## >> early 800s had a 5 on 4.5 pattern, same with 2wd 1/2 ton pickups.

from my limited experience, i think you're right on the money.  when we
bought our '68 800 Scout, the same guy was also selling a '66 4x2 800,
another '68 4x4 800, and a '62 4x2 80 with a chevy smallblock/powerglide
conversion.  the 4x4 had the usual 5 on 5.5" lug pattern, but both 4x2
trucks had the smaller 5-lug pattern.  i thought this was an anomaly and
that somebody had changed the axles or something, but since then i have seen
several more 4x2 80s and 800s, all of which have had the smaller lug
pattern.

i do not believe this was continued with the Scout II, but i am not sure.
i've never actually seen a 4x2 Scout II before.  i have yet to see a 4x2
Scout 80 or 800 with the 5 on 5.5" pattern, though.  as i said, my
experience is pretty limited, so maybe there were some 4x2s made of each lug
pattern and i've only ever seen the smaller ones.

the usual grain of salt disclaimer applies.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.