IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] Checklist for potential purchase of Fleck's Postal Scout

David-

Well, I haven't really said much yet, but here is my opinion on this:

To me it sounds like you might want to consider finding something else!  I
understand the attraction to IH's, but it sounds almost like you are
building a new car/truck/SUV/delivery vehicle!  The 4 cyl will likely not be
as good on gas as you were hoping, and the number of mods you are talking
about are daunting to some of us!

I believe that Fleck will do things right, and can do all of the work, but
it sounds like you really just want another truck!  I also understand the
idea of wanting it NOW-since you have found one, as I have bought several
impulse IH's at the risk of late rent, etc.  However, if you are concerned
about the engine, as has been said, it can be a major ordeal to swap these,
and will not be cheap.  It is not easy and can be expensive, relatively, to
swap electric motors into the vacuum wiper system-on my '68 800, the
glovebox can no longer be closed because the smallest motor we could find to
install at the base of the wipers is too big and sticks through the back
dash a bit, and windshield frame top mount ones, as in a Landcruiser, are
not cheap, and still are not easy to mount solidly up there.  Power brakes
are quite a bear to mount in one of these (although, again, Fleck can do
it), and adding power steering to this little engine may rob even more
power.  Also, of the 5 or so 80 and 800's I have had, none of them had very
good defrost capabilities-which always puzzled me, as the system seems SO
basic-and easy to clean out.  However, the slits are too small for enough
air or something!

Now this is just an opinion, but it sems to me that you may be better served
to ask John to keep an eye open for a later Scout II with all of the things
you want.  I think you already have one, but to get all of the things you
want, that sounds like the way to go.  Either that, or ask Fleck to find you
a good body to swap onto your Scout II frame-if you really want the 80/800
style!

Just my opinion-for what little it is worth!!!

Good luck!

Michael