IHC/IHC Digest Archive

[ihc] Re: Radiator Expansion Tank

Jim Camery wrote:

> As Dave Bongo wrote:
>
>     I've got a minor "problem" (for lack of a better term) that I'd like
>     some feedback on. My radiator expansion tank is on the right side of my
>     truck, but the little pipe that feeds it is not only on the left side,
>     but it points out to the left. The hose that connects the two is long
>     and, at times, it kinks. The kink bothers me (even though it isn't
>     kinked all the time and the tank appears to be working.)
>
> Same problem w/one of my Travelalls.  My solution was very flexible
> vinyl tubing that could take the 180 bend, with some cable ties onto the
> upper radiator hose to keep it in place.  I seriously considered
> exchanging the battery and coolant tank as it would kill two birds w/one
> stone - the tank would be on the driver's side for easy hose access and
> I could shorten my battery cable by about 5 feet.  In the end, "easy"
> conquers "best".
>
> Jim

I'll have to look into the vinyl tubing solution.  The copper tubing
plan is attractive, but I admit to having reservations about the
multiple joints (radiator to pipe, pipe to tank total of 4 rather than
2).  Whatever I find tomorrow will be the winner, I suppose.

And I, too, was considering swapping the battery and expansion tank.
And, like you, "easy" conquered "best."  Besides, that probably would
have taken me 2 days, 2 days I couldn't afford to miss from work.

Dave