IHC/IHC Digest Archive

[ihc] Re: Rusty water

Many years ago I had the same problem after using plain water because I was so broke that's all I could afford when the
old radiator was leaking.

Well, I changed to anti freeze mixed with water after a good flush, but still had rusty coolant after a while.

So then I bought a 2 part acid/neutralizer radiator cleaner from a truck parts place. I think the acid was oxalic <sp?>
(now I can't find the stuff).

I flushed out all the anti freeze, added the acid cleaner, ran it for a while, drained, flushed, and added neutralizer,
flushed twice, drained and then used distilled water with ethelyne glycol.

I have had no problems with rust since.

You might look for something to control electrolysis, they used to sell little pellets the size of a fat quarter that
dangled from a chain suspended in the radiator neck, I think they were zinc. I believe they were designed to be eaten
away, that the electrolysis wouth attack them instead of other metals.

- Jim in Mesa