IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: [ihc] Things That Go GRRRRRRRIND In The Night!

If I were a betting man, I'd say you just ripped your passenger side,
rear-of-front-spring mount from the frame.
Yep, BTDT

Typically, at least in my experience the mount tears out of the frame, causing the owner to cringe.

That front fender eating the tire is disconcerting to say the least. Half of my nearly new tire's tread was gone. The possibility of breaking out the mount is enhanced by the use of big tires, in my opinion. Also banging into big rocks is counter productive.

Easy check - is the shackle on the passenger side "flat" and pointing
straight forward?

To repair, use your tape measure a bunch, disconnect the mount from the
spring, beat mount back into place with appropriate BFH and clamp into
place with a C-clamp or other device, then weld.

If you lack the facilities to weld/beat, plan B is to use a come-along and
a chain to draw the spring back a bit, roughly to where it needs to go,
using the Come-along and chain.  Then drive to the nearest weldor and ask
him to glue it back together.

We welded my spring mount in place and then put a gusset in place so that there is more to move, if it's going to move.

BTDT

Me too.

The other possibility is you sheared the spring center bolt, but I doubt it.

Me too.

John

Now, is this a great post, or what?
--