IHC/IHC Digest Archive

Re: Curious Electrical Problem

---What could it be? That will only be determined from your testing the
wires individually. It could simply be a bad ground at the tail light
housing, a bad connection on the jumper from one light to the other or it
could be major. I and others have found that the heater wiring has fused
under the dash and melted the brake light wiring along with it. I have my
fingers crossed that your is not that complicated, so I would say try
running a test ground wire from the battery to the tail light housing and
see if the ground is at fault. The tail light, turn signal, license plate
and marker lights are all grounded together. Does your side marker light
work?

---It might be a little extreme to you, but I would cut all the rear
lighting wires a foot from the bulkhead, unless you can find the terminals
to replace the original ones in the bulkhead, and run new wire for all the
rear lighting (one 3-wire and one 4-wire trailer harness works great or two
4-wire if you want to run the fuel sending circuit too) by linking the new
wire to the cut end of the old wire harness and pulling the old wire from
the rear of the vehicle. The wires running to the tail lights (from what I
have seen) have been subject to heat for far too long and have turned black.
A have also seen the terminals reduced to green powder due to road salts.

---You can obtain new open-barrel terminals for the 1156 and 1157 bulbs if
you need them. They are usually called light bulb contacts. They can be
double-crimped with a standard pair of crimpers that have the double "U"
shaped crimping tool.

-<Throws in his $0.02 ante>-

---Thank you,
-T.R.E.Jr.
-`73 Scout II (StoneThrower)
-`51 Farmall H (Heinz)
-`49 IH fridge (presently unnamed and in need of a compressor)
-`49 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4-door Sedan (Papapalooza)