IHC/IHC Digest Archive

progress on the travelette

Well,
I spent the day, literally, working through the wiring on the new travelette. It came with no lights of any kind working, jury-rigged cd player, and more shorts and melted wiring than I've seen since the Airporter I bought in Iowa. Thankfully, a fair amount of the wiring was salvageable, so tonight the truck has headlights high and low, and running lights. Tomorrow I'll install a SPDT (I think I got that right) toggle switch to serve turn signals, and continue troubleshooting the brakes. Trying to get it running and legal to help move in to the new house next week.
So many of the problems were from changes -- a one-wire alternator, voltmeter in place of ammeter, and mechanical oil pressure gauge. All would have been good changes if done well, but they weren't. Seller was a good man who by his own admission isn't very mechanically inclined, but more importantly he didn't take the time to understand the truck.
I also heard from the owner of my old travelette, and he's already spent more on it than I did in 3 years, so, for better or for worse, the truck will reach its potential.
Anyway, I'm rambling on to you all. I appreciate the listening, and all teaching, that this list provides.
Good evening to all,
joel

--
Joel Furtek