IHC/IHC Digest Archive

I'm Wired (some might say Weird)...

Greetings All,

You'll recall my recent posting about a "miss' I'd been experiencing with
the Scout. The motor would only miss when warm - or more precisely, under
load. Initially, I confused 'warm' with 'load'. Off digest friend Bill
reminded me of the difference.

Finally, earlier this afternoon I got to take a closer look into the
problem. The solution follows.

I suspected a bad ignition wire or a cracked plug.  Amazingly (for me) 30
seconds diagnosis time and 1 hr of labor, cured the wicked miss I was
having! To make the story shorter and to cut the suspense: It was, as
friends Bill & John (Hofs) suggested - it was a bad wire! I saw it as soon
as I popped the hood in the light of day. There was a white "powdery"
residue o-n the exhaust manifold where the wire had been finding ground, and
a similar residue o-n the wire itself.

Sorry I don't have a digital camera to use, but my scanner captured the
problem with the offending wire. The link to the picture below should tell
the tale!

You can see the culprit here:

http://www.pferris.com/postnuke/html/images/misc_picts/Bad_Wire.jpg

The time consuming part was measuring, cutting & crimping the wires.  I used
a "universal" Accel kit that I had left over from, but never used on, a
previous vehicle. They were 8mm wires. The Autolite ones I pulled off the
Scout were 7.5mm. Anyone see any problems with that? If nothing else, it's a
temp fix until I can buy some Magnecor's like the big boys have! ;-) Seem to
fit both ends just fine.

More good news: Due to the 'physical evidence' that was present - I didn't
need to calculate the Ohms/Inch of each wire - but it's a good technique to
know. Thanks for sharing, John!

Test run down the highway says I'm cured.

Have a great weekend!

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||	Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |	'77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\]	More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\]	http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\]	http://www.pferris.com/postnuke/html/index.php